Do you notice your dog getting itchy or sneezing this time of year? Dogs can suffer from seasonal allergies, too! As a Montgomery County Dog Walker, I can’t help but notice the layer of green pollen that comes along with the gorgeous blossoms that emerge in the spring.
- Mold & Mildew
- Dust Mites
Signs & Symptoms:
- Itchy, irritated or inflamed skin
- You may also notice your dog rubbing against the carpet, furniture or the wall in an attempt to alleviate the itching or your dog may scratch, chew or bite parts of their bodies.
- All of these behaviors can result in hair loss, hot spots, scabbing, and even open sores.
Coping with Symptoms:
- Regular bathing with a dog shampoo for inflamed or sensitive skin can wash away the allergens.
- Cleaning and vacuuming your dog’s bed and other places where your dog spends time can remove some of the allergens, but be sure to use non-toxic cleaners.
- You can help support your dog’s immune system by feeding them a well-balanced diet low in grains and fillers since carbohydrates can trigger and worsen inflammation.
- And of course you can always see your veterinarian, who can confirm an allergic reaction, recommend an antihistamine if appropriate, or provide proper dosage of over the counter allergy medication that is safe for your dog.
If you have seasonal allergies yourself, you may prefer that someone else walk your dog this time of year. That’s what we’re here for! We provide dog walking and pet sitting services in the Montgomery and Bucks County areas. Give us a call at 610-716-7716 or book online at www.dawnthepetnanny.org. You can also like our facebook page at www.facebook.com/dawnthepetnanny.