1

I awoke to another sad story in the news today. This time it was about the loss of a beloved Pit Bull who had passed on from suffocation. How you may ask? The dog found an empty potato chip bag. You can guess where this is going. Like most animals, the smell of food is very hard to resist. The dog named “Lucy” a loved family pet, had gotten into the garbage and found the potato chip bag. She placed her head inside the bag and could not get the bag off of her head. Her family came home to the horror that awaited them. Poor Lucy still had the bag on her head. Try as they might to save her with CPR, she was already gone.

I have a relative who also had a dog pass from suffocation. They left for work not realizing that the pantry door was slightly open. Upon returning home from work, they looked everywhere for their dog and could not find her. They noticed the pantry door ajar and were met with an awful sight. The dog had realized the pantry door was open, went in, climbed up the shelf and was able to open a jar. The dog proceeded to stick her head into the jar. You know what happens next. She was still alive and was rushed to the vet. After spending a few days at the vet, in an oxygen chamber, they thought she was out of the woods. Sadly, that was not the case. She passed away a few days later.

These stories sound like things that can’t happen to you or  your pet. As you can see, any piece of trash could become a danger to your pet whether it be dog or cat. For safety purposes alone, please put your trash in something that your pet cannot get into. Place the can out of harms way. Be careful to close all doors behind you should your pet be loose in your home while you are away.

You can never be too safe!

Dawn The Pet Nanny can be found on facebook at www.facebook.com/DawnthePetNanny or on the web at www.dawnthepetnanny.org

One Response to “Local Horsham Pet Sitter Warns of the Dangers of Trash”

  1. katelyn says:

    This same thing happened to my little guy too. I left for work one day and he got into the trash. Got his head stuck in a ritz baked chip bag. Came home a few hours later to find him laying on the floor. He was cold. If I had known this could have been avoided. And don’t think it can’t happen to you because this wasn’t the first bag he had gotten. His favorote treats come in bags just like it. I now shred everything before I throw it away, but still have this fear that my dogs will get into while I’m gone. I tell everyone I know my story. Even though it is hard for me to talk about. The pain of losing a pet is hard enough, but finding them like that is worse than a nightmare. I pray that no one ever has to go through what I have had to.

Leave a Reply